October 3, 2013

Month 6

Dear Ali,

This past month was one of THE hardest months of my life. We have been in and out of doctor offices trying to figure out what can possibly be making you so sad/uncomfortable. After many tests and opinions, we have finally decided what we think might be the problem. We still don't know for sure, which is extremely frustrating. But, with multiple opinions from doctors, google, test results, and mother's instinct, we have diagnosed you with a peak in acid reflux, and a sensitive stomach (in general.) Your leukocytes in your stool sample were elevated, usually indicating an infection, but since you don't have a fever or show any other signs of infection, the doctor says this usually means a lactose sensitivity. (But could mean wheat, soy, eggs, peanuts, etc.) Last month we had switched acid reflux medications to a cheaper med, and though it took us a month to figure out, I think that might have caused you to have more symptoms and be uncomfortable. Basically, it's been a rough month. But after putting you back on the {expensive but worth it} other medication, cutting out all dairy, and watching my intake of other allergy/gas producing foods, you seem to be much better. We almost weaned you from breast feeding completely, and after two days, I changed my mind and am working on getting my awesome supply back. I think it's finally coming back, but that was stressful too!

Anyway, we are hoping and praying that the worst is over and that we are right in thinking your acid reflux is just peaking, as well as your digestive system still maturing. If we continue to have good days, I think we are right! You have slept MUCH better the past three nights than you have in the past two months. So we'll see.

Since this month was so up and down, you are pretty much schedule-less. You do basically the same things each day, but never at the same time. (We are going to work on that this month!) You started solids a little bit at the 6 month mark just last week. I waited due to the new guidelines on waiting as well as your tummy troubles. So far you have tried green beans, carrots, apples, peaches, and a little banana. You eat like a champ and I'm excited to keep introducing new foods. Hoping they help and not hurt your digestion! It's SUPER fun to make baby food for you.

You still love your big brother so much and could just watch him all day long. Sometimes you do. And you are very much a mommy's girl. You loved your daddy too, but my heart melts every time I see you kick your legs and squeal when you see me. We are having issues with strangers/anyone besides your immediate family pretty much. Whenever we go to the gym we all leave frustrated because you can't seem to let anybody else hold you if we aren't in site. It's really traumatic for you.

You finally sit up for long amounts of time before toppling over! Such a big girl, it's crazy how fast the time has gone. I hope the next 6 months are easier for all of us so that we can enjoy them a little more.

I love you with all my heart and our family wouldn't be the same without you, Ali-gator. (That's your new nick name we've sort of started calling you....we'll see if it sticks.)

You were super fussy for your photo shoot this month. Go figure. :) It was fitting for how the month went! So here are the few I got where you're NOT screaming.

Love you to the moon my princess!

Mom





No comments: