May 9, 2011

Influential people

This week I have had a couple different opportunities to think about different people who inspire me. Of course, all the mother figures in my life were on my mind all week. I am blessed to have grandmas, in-laws, and my own mother who have taught me millions of things (by example) when it comes to being a mom. Aside from them, my sisters-in-law and friends who are mothers and help me every day by giving advice or support when I have a hard day. One of my friends (thank you Lola!) posted an awesome quote on her facebook yesterday, Mother's Day. It said, "A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." I just love it! Isn't it so true? A mother would do anything for her children, and sometimes, for people outside of her own family. Motherhood is a selfless act, and takes a lot of strength sometimes to say, "Wow, I would really like a (blank) but my child really needs (blank) more." I can truly say that I enjoy being a mother above anything else I've ever "been" or ever will "be". It's THE BEST job in the world and it's hard work, but you see results of your hard work every day as your baby learns something new. I can't wait to watch my children grow and I can only hope to be as amazing as my own mother. She is my best friend and I can always count on her. She has the best advice because she knows ME and my desires so well. Love you mommy!




This week, I was also able to reflect on another influential person whom I didn't know too well, but I knew enough for her to have a lasting impact on my life. We don't get to see Drew's step-brother Cameron and his girlfriend Celina often enough. (We need to change that.) But everytime we had the opportunity to see them, Celina's little sister Valerie was with them. She was much a part of the Gatter(Burton) family as the rest of us. Valeria passed away a few days ago after battling cancer. Everytime I saw her she was such a positive person and she was so beautiful. I will truly miss her pretty smile, contagious laugh, and sweet spirit and personality at our family gatherings. And I know everyone else will too. I know we will see her again one day, and I am thankful for that knowledge. We all love you Val!



It is amazing to me the influence someone can be on your life whether you have known them literally your whole life, for a few years, or only for a few moments. It has inspired me to try my hardest to always be the kind of person that has influenced me. Someone I would want my children to be. Hopefully it's a goal I can accomplish sooner than later. :)

No comments: