June 10, 2013

A "must purchase" for all parents.

I have been thinking a lot lately about motherhood. Specifically how unconditional and immeasurable our love is. Our hearts just grow and grow with the number of children we have. When Ali was born it was like I instantly loved her as much as Luke because I knew how much I would grow to love her (like Luke). Does that make sense? My love for Luke grew even more as we welcomed Ali. Seeing him as a big brother and how good his heart is just made me realize how amazing my job is.

But also, how terrifying at the same time.

With so many scary things happening in the world, on top of bullies and peer pressure, I just have constant anxiety. I want my children to know how perfect they are no matter what anyone says. While I have been on a strict diet to try and get back to my old self, it has struck me that Ali might have to go through this too at some point and I never want her to feel ugly or not love herself. (That's a whole other topic I need to blog about some time...loving myself so that my daughter will love herself.) I just don't want my kids to ever feel un-loved.

My mom wrote me a letter after an argument we had in high school, and one line has always stayed with me. She said, "I hurt when you hurt, I cry when you cry. I'm happy when you're happy, and I always want what's best for you." I never understood until I had children of my own.

I know it's hard as a mother to remember your unconditional and immeasurable love you have for your children on a daily basis. As we go throughout our hectic days often filled with tears and whining, it's easy to forget how thankful we are for our little ones. But, as hard as it is, they need to hear how much we love them every.single.day. They need it repeated and repeated, over and over. Because hopefully if we tell them enough, they will soon realize that even though we might be mad at one of their actions, we will always love them. Even if nobody else does. (Only in extreme circumstances...haha..) As Luke has hit his terrible 3 mark I have found my patience running thin. I have tried to keep from yelling or taking my frustration out on him. It's hard work but if I make a conscious effort to do it, it somehow works. The other day I was looking at books on Amazon and stumbled upon this book. Many of you probably have read it. Some might even read it to your children already. But, in case you haven't heard of it, I wanted to share it because it's amazing and I love it so much. Buy it. Read it to your kids, if not daily, weekly! ;) As I read the words I couldn't help but cry because it's so true. I want my little's to know that it's true. So making an effort to read it to them often. Maybe one day we will all have it memorized. I hope so :)

I wanted you more
than you will ever know
so I sent love to follow
wherever you go.
It's high as you wish it. It's quick as an elf.
You'll never outgrow it...it stretches itself!

So climb any mountain,
climb up to the sky!
My love will find you.
My love can fly!

Make a big splash! Go out on a limb!
My love will find you. My love can swim!

It never gets lost, never fades, never ends.

If you're working, or playing, or sitting with friends.
You can dance 'til you're dizzy, paint 'til you're blue.

There's no place, not one,
that my love can't find you.

And if someday you're lonely, 
or someday you're sad, 
or you strike out at baseball,
or think you've been bad...

just lift up your face, feel the wind in your hair.
That's me, my sweet baby, my love is right there.

In the green of the grass, in the smell of the sea,
in the clouds floating by, at the top of a tree.

In the sound crickets make at the end of the day,
"You are loved. You are loved. You are loved," they all say.


My love is so high and so wide and so deep,
it's always right there, even when you're asleep.

So hold your head high and don't be afraid
to march to the front of your own parade.

If you're still my small babe
or you're all the way grown,
my promise to you
is you're never alone.

You are my angel, my darling, my star.
And my love will find you
wherever you are.

You are loved.

--Nancy Tillman 



Aren't these faces too cute? My love will find them wherever they are. Forever.



























4 comments:

Grandma Hawaii said...

AMEN !! It doesn't change--even when you "kids" are Grandparents themselves~~~Love you..appreciate your Blog..Love all of the pictures...You are a precious Granddaughter !

The Truman's said...

The picture of them holding hands is by far my favorite picture of all time.

Landon Family said...

Love that book! So true. Thanks for all the pictures :)

Lola + Ryan said...

I have this book! I love it so much. I've given it as a gift, too. You are an amazing mommy. Do you have "Just In Case You Ever Wonder?" by Mac Lucado? Ethan brings it to me once a day to read to him. You cannot read it aloud to your child without crying. Not possible.