September 12, 2011

9/11 - 10 years later

This picture below is the view from the Lincoln Memorial in Washington D.C. It is my favorite monument on the mall in D.C., and it is significant to me for a special reason. It was always my favorite because of the views from the steps, as well as the symbolism and architecture of the structure as a whole. But-it became more significant to me as of 9/11/01. Picture this picture below, without all the people.





That is where my dad sat after a morning jog on 9/11/2001. All by himself except for a janitor sweeping the steps. He expressed to me (after he returned from a business trip a week later due to not being able to fly home) his feelings that morning. Feelings of freedom and gratitude to live in such a wonderful country. Sitting on a national monument, looking at a handfull of other monuments as well as our nation's capitol. Can you imagine, not more than a few hours later he was watching the Pentagon smoke from his hotel conference room? And that same capitol he looked at with such peaceful feelings would be in danger?




Maybe my dad's thoughts that morning in conjunction with what happened a few hours later are what changed me. But, as I look back on the last 10 years since that tragic day, I think it's been the tragedies SINCE (as well as that day, of course) that have changed me. I was in 8th grade on 9/11/01, and although I remember the day's events very well, I don't think I understood the impact that day would have on our future, as a country AND as individuals.






20% of Americans knew someone directly who was affected that day specifically. Whether it was a loved one who passed away, a friend, or a loved one of a friend. 2,977 lives lost, and many more suffered injuries. And almost half a million New Yorkers are affected by post traumatic stress disorder. That day was a tragedy and my feelings while writing this are similar to those I felt that day.







Yes that day was a significant day in our generation's history. But many forget about how they felt that day, and more importantly how our brother's and sister's throughout our country feel. They might feel that it was "just a day" but..here are some more tragic numbers that are happening TODAY because of "that day that was just a day."



6,000 soldiers killed in the war.


100,000 + innocent Afghanistan citizens killed.


$3.3 trillion dollars in debt spent on the war, and homeland security. Putting us in a greater debt than ever before.




And perhaps something everyone is forgetting: the WAR itself stemmed from 9/11/01. Our country is divided because of the war. The past 10 years of division and fighting is because of one decision in 2001. We all look at each other differently, not in a good way. It terrified us so much that we allowed a rash decision and that has created a war among our own citizens.




I am so thankful to live in this country, and so thankful to all those soldiers fighting, wherever it may be, to keep my freedom. I know 9/11/01 changed our country forever, and will continue to change it forever.



That is my rant. I am surprised to see how many people are disrespectful of such a significant day throughout the U.S. And I had to say something about it. :) You know me! Or if this surprised you, I guess you know me now. :)



I will NEVER forget. And I hope you won't either.




1 comment:

Lola + Ryan said...

I love this post. Love you.