As many of you know, I have finished my pre-reqs and am getting ready to apply to the Medical Sonography program at CSN starting this summer. If I get in, it's a two year (six semester) full-time program. I was under the impression, (from talking to past students of the program) that the reason CSN's program was great, was because you got to choose your schedule. Unlike most medical programs, where there is a set schedule and you have to attend at certain times. I was also told that because you're only required to take 13 credits per semester, having a job, (or being a mom in my case) is totally do-able. Well, I guess I was stupid to listen to someone who went through the program 5 years ago, because now, IT IS NOT THE CASE. Heres what I learned today.
1-Starting in June, my schedule would be class/clinicals every day from 8-2. This isn't so bad. But here is number 2.
2-Starting in August, my schedule would be every day, 8-5.
I realize this is what happens when you get into a medical program. Believe me, I know people do it every day. However, for me and my case, I didn't know entering the program would also mean gaining a full time job. I would love to be a sonographer. TOTALLY would. But, I also don't want to have a "full time job" away from my baby boy for 2 years. And lets be honest, two years is a long time, and who is to say I won't have another baby on the way or here by the time the program is over. (Obviously, that wouldn't happen if I was IN the program..)
So heres the catch. I think I was destined to realize this all along. I have been doing my 40 hours of observation (required for entry to the program) this week at a perinatal sonography clinic. I absolutely love the environment there and told Drew that that is the place I would love to work at someday. Yesterday morning, I get a text from the clinic manager offering me a part time MA position. (I had told Drew that if I didn't get in to the sonography program, I would want to find a part time MA position in an OB or pediatric clinic.) So...the only thing is, she didn't want to offer me the position if I was just going to quit in June to go to school. Understandable. This is what lead me to call the program director and ask her about school hours throughout the program. Thus, leading me to my current thoughts of:
1-"Do I REALLY want to go to school full time for two years just to say I got a degree."
2-"I LOVE being an MA and could do it, extremely happily for the rest of my life."
3-"A part time job in an OB clinic is exactly what I want, and I can still be a mom."
So, what are your thoughts? Do I apply to the program, see if I get in, and then address the issue? Do I just not apply and take the MA position? My theory is: I decided to do sonography, needed the 40 hours, found this awesome clinic, and was offered an MA position. ALL because that was supposed to happen. Nothing else. I dunno, am I crazy?? Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated :)
10 comments:
School, schmool Ky Ky. Take the job. Less strees and more time with my baby.
Seems like an easy choice to me! :) Okay, so its always easier to make up other people's minds...
I would say the job. It seems more beneficial for your life at this point. You can always go back to Sonography school once the kids are older right? I think you've been blessed with an opportunity to do something you love, and be there for Luke and the future lil' Burtons along the way.
I think everything happens for a reason, and it seems like this job came at the exact right time! It sounds like you would enjoy the job, plus you get to spend more time with Luke. It would be hard being away from him for the first couple of years of his life. That's just my opinion :) Good luck with whatever you decide!!
I think everyone's situation is different. But if I were you I would at least apply to the program, it's always good to keep your options open. As you know, my grandma and grandpa Spanos have tried to tell the grandkids how important an education is. While going to school full time is extremely difficult, and being away from Luke for so long would not be fun, you do need to understand that if you chose to do it that it not only for your benefit but for him as well. You can always go back to school as well. This is an extremely difficult situation to be placed in! I'm sorry. Just to let you know, I've been going to school non-stop since Emma was born and now I have two kids and I'm still going full time, I was even going when I had Claire, I took two weeks off after she was born and then went right back. Is it easy? NO WAY! But I think about the example I'm being for my girls and I wouldn't change it, Neil's also going to school. With that being said, when I'm done with my bachelor's I will be taking a couple of years off so Neil and finish up his Master's, and then I will go back to get my Master's, we know we can't both be getting Master's at the same time. Okay, so this is long. I guess what I'm trying to say is keep your options open and NEVER feel bad for doing the best thing for you and your family!
Wow Ali! How hard. Is your school 8-5 every day too??
I'm thinking the answer is fairly obvious BUT what do I know ?? I say "pray"...let the spirit guide you..Ultimately it is your and Drew's decision...what is best for your family ?? Only you know..I am always "out here" to offer unconditional love & support...
Luckily enough my school isn't 8-5, I can only imagine how much harder that would be. We're lucky in the sense that we're able to make Neil's work schedule fit my school schedule, so when I'm not home Neil is there to take care of the girls. Like I said, every situation is different and no matter what you decide to do, it will be the best decision for you and your family.
Sounds like you've already made your decision. ;-)
Ky this is tough! The only thoughts I have are--1. You'll never get Lukes younger years back, while school is available in the future if you were to NEED to support your family on your own. At the same time, it will be harder later with more kids?! So, I don't know. My initial reaction is go with being a mommy, but apply for the program too and climb that hill when you get to it. I know they would be unhappy if you were to change last minute and go to school, but that happens all the time to employers, so... As much as they'd like a more permanent MA, people are always a risk for leaving you in 6 months. Most of all just get on those knees! :)
Yes- pray. But, I have come to the conclusion that school is something I have PLENTY of time for... but I can never get these special 'nuggy' years back. Ever. So that's why I made the decision that I did. But I don't think there is a right or wrong... eveyone's different.
Post a Comment